August 4, 2014

I see her with her endless arms


I see her with her endless arms: I see her without beginning middle or end: it is the last summer of peace: it is the last summer of the last Yes: we are still somehow holding the world together: we are naming the roses….

-          - Agha Shahid Ali, “Lo, A Tint Cashmere! Lo, A Rose!”

I see her with her endless arms
headless
floating
she mutates
sprouting endless arms
coiled in slime.
is another
is another
she floats up on the other shore
of this river of dark dreams
what is this country? I ask
of the boatman.


Lizards spawn on this shore.
And roses.
We count them,
name them.
She stretches an arm at me,
Stained in the blood
Of the fly we swatted last night.
Was it a lord of them flies? I ask
Of the lizard.
Sleep now, she says.
For I have all this blood to wipe.

August 4, 2014


No comments: